Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Highs and Lows of Colloquium Class Post #18



I enjoyed Colloquium class because of the diverse and extremely different perspectives that were presented about societal sustainability, the natural resource crisis, global warming, and dangers of pollution.  There were many high points to the course which were both memorable and left an impacting impression about the world we live in.  I greatly enjoyed the field trips and I was impressed with ECHO.  Their philosophy differed from other organizations when it came to world aid.  The eco-agricultural strategy was impressive and I feel has promise and many innovating ideas that were simple to apply after some education. My part of the final project, which was agriculture, was influenced in many ways by ECHO.  Another high point to the course was the reading material, particularly The Weather Makers.  Most of the class stated dislike for the book but I thought that it was well written and intriguing in subject.  I read the entire book and then I gave the book to a friend after I recommended it to her.  Hopefully she will find the value in reading the book as I did.  There was not much to the course that I found difficult other than the lengthy essay we needed to write.  Maybe it was because I procrastinated in starting the essay and was rushed or maybe the sustainability of agricultural Africa was not on my list of interest.  I did learn a lot about Africa, which may also have influenced my final project, but I found the essay the least likable about the course. I know that there were two other choices for the essay but they weren’t any better than the one I chose, (a personal opinion).  Overall, the Colloquium course was productive, fluid, and educational.

No comments:

Post a Comment