Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Richard Louv's Nature-Deficet Disoder / ADHA Connection



Richard Louv’s “Nature-Deficit Disorder and the Restorative Environment”, an excerpt from Last Child in the Woods, was a very interesting perspective to ADHD and our inert connection to nature.  The whole subject definitely perked my attention.  Personally, I am not directly affected by ADHD but I do have several friends that have children that have been diagnosed with the developmental order.  ADHD seems to be on the rise and it seems that so many children now have it.  Most of these children are prescribed medications to deal with the issues, which is typical of western medicine.  The raise in ADHD causes me to question the reason why this condition is now so prevalent.  What has changed?  Is it because we now recognize the symptoms and now have a name for the disorder?  I have heard many arguments and theories but in all honesty, nature-deficit disorder being the direct culprit for ADHD is a new theory for me.  The theory is plausible especially when you consider evolutional development.  Also, I can see how nature can settle down an otherwise wired personality.  The urban environment tends to be a busy, distractive, high paced, and multi-tasking forever that has no end.  Even in the safety of your home the phone, television, computer, and radio intrude and encroach onto you peace of mind.  Sleep seems to be the only real peace, (if you sleep well), until your alarm rudely wakes you in the morning.  I’m naturally a much laid back person and I found that I adapt very easily to different environment but the urban lifestyle does eventually have a toll on the human spirit.  I always try to get away to seek a more natural environment which I find can recharge me and also shed some of the negativity that can build up at work, school, and just from interaction with certain people.  I’m not surprised that natural environments can be therapeutic for children with ADHD.  The question to ask, is it nature that is a positive stimulant or is it the fact that we just removed them from the environment that causes the negative stimulation?  I would be extremely interested in the results of new research on the subject.  I would like to see the prevalence of ADHD in rural areas versus urban areas, (with the proper filters) or the therapeutic effects of chemical treatment versus strictly environment treatment. I’ll be sure to keep my eyes open for new information pertaining to the Nature-Deficit theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment